Friday 15 November 2013

15/11/2013 - gap year

I'm in my final year of college now and I have no aspirations at all. None. Except to travel. I want to be able to work a job that I don't hate to save enough money to be able to travel for a while - and that got me and my partner on to thinking about maybe taking a gap year before I decide what I want to do. Hell, I might even get back and decide to go to university...

I did my research and a friend recommended a charity to me that her daughter is using to go on her gap year to Australia next year. The trips are costly (as is expected) but one particular trip caught my eye. A 5 month trip to China to teach English in either a primary school or a middle school. Evenings and weekends free to do whatever you like and travel as much as you can. I immediately decided this is what I want to do!

I have a love of Asian culture and have always wanted to travel there but was put off by the cost and the fact that, at the moment, I am a travel novice. This would be an amazing opportunity to not only gain confidence in travelling, but also be forced to learn Mandarin from the minute I got there! The prospect of being assigned to a placement where I'm the only volunteer is terrifying, as is being away from my mom and my partner for almost half a year but as long as there's internet at my host apartment (God, I hope there's internet), I can Skype and email everyday. I suppose it's time to start saving then...

And let's face it, it would make this blog a lot more interesting...



No comments:

Post a Comment